Food Business Innovation
The course examines and details the process of research and development of innovative food products. It identifies the importance of food product development, and the challenges involved in the development of a new food product. The course incorporates the creation of new food products in a real-world research and development facility, as part of the laboratory experience. Course is designed to provide students with a basic understanding of the business innovation strategies, practices and new product development process in the commercial food industry. To provide more enhancing learning experience regular lectures will be combined with the online assignments, projects and guest web meetings with the food industry professionals from the leading food companies. Through all these activities, students will learn how to successfully initiate, organize, and carry out a product development process and will be prepared better for the real world challenges.
- The overall goal is to provide a unique experience to develop, strengthen, enhance, self-fulfilling, rewarding opportunity, and challenge for students to integrate their training and learning in food science courses and related disciplines and gain experience in the theory and practice of developing food products that is expected to have an impact on student career development and life-long learning.
- At the conclusion of the course, students will be familiar with all aspects of the process of product innovation from the product concept stage, the importance of the pilot plant, package and pricing development, and a working knowledge of the food industry and the requirements they place on innovative new products. The students will create and present a new product sales presentation with team members to an advisory panel.
Topic Outline for the course:
Session 1 Food for 21st century
Session 2 Innovation as a continuous process
Session 3 Process of Product Development
Session 4 Product Development: a Project Management approach
Session 5 Modern Trends in Food Products Development: society and technologies
Session 6 Marketing Business Plans
Session 7 Product Positioning -DNA for Success
Session 8 Product Positioning Presentation Group Discussion
Session 9 From the Concept Stage to the Pilot Plant
Session 10 Pilot Plant - Field trip
Session 11 Food Industry Review
Session 12 From Plant Trial to Consumer/ End User
Session 13 New Product Success
Session 14 Making the Presentation
Session 15 Final Exam -- Team Project Presentation
1. Identify the importance of food product development.
2. List the food product development process and explain the importance of each step involved.
3. Identify the challenges involved in the development of a new food product.
4. Learn the importance of new food product development in the food manufacturing.
5. Learn to write detailed manufacturing plan for new or improved food product.