Certificate in Science & Technology Management Camden
The Certificate in Science and Technology Management is available to students who are already pursuing a Master's or PhD and other qualified students interested in taking the business component of the MBS degree. Students pursuing their Master's or PhD must have their advisor fill out the attached form and submit it along with your application to http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/.This is a 19 credits certificate with courses in Finance & Accounting, Marketing, Communications, 2 electives, and a capstone course. Also, students must attend a colloquia over the course of their studies (6 in total).
Graduate Advisor Form: Please click to download attachment
Please Note: Interested students must apply to gradstudy.rutgers.edu for admission before registering for classes.
The goals of this program are to teach students:
- To understand the connection between technology and business and how technical work impacts the business of organizations.
- To understand the fundamental concepts of marketing, business strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To understand the basic concepts of financial management and able to assess the financial aspects of a new scientific venture or project and make recommendations for investments and payback.
- To learn the basics of management of science & technological projects and programs.
- To acquire and develop leadership skills of inspiring, motivating, directing and coaching individuals and teams.
- To develop good oral and written communications skills
- To understand the core elements required to design and operate an effective, science-driven organization and how to diagnose and solve organizational problems.
- To master the core elements of a business plan and be able to demonstrate this using a real technology.
For cost per credit, please visit our Finance page.
Listed below are required courses for the Certificate in Science & Technology Management for Camden.
Business - Camden
|Finance & Accounting (3 credits)|
|53:135:500||Managerial Economics (3)||STUDENT MUST|
|53:390:506||Financial Management (3)||PICK ONE OF TWO|
|Marketing (3 credits)|
|53:630:508||Marketing Management (3)||Mandatory for all students|
|Communication & Leadership (3 credits)|
|53:135:503||Personal Leadership and Communication Skills (3)||Mandatory for all students|
|Managment of Science & Technology (3 credits)|
|53:620:513||Operations Management (3)||Mandatory for all students|
|General Management Electives (3 credits)|
See Course Listing for the MBS Business Curriculum
|Student selects 1 course|
|Ethics & Professionalism (1 Credit)|
|16:137:500*||Ethics for Science & Technology Management (1)||Mandatory for all students|
|16:137:503||Colloquium in Professionalism for Science & Technology Management (0)||Mandatory for all students|
The capstone course is a project-based course covering the fundamentals of entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, innovation commercialization, and intellectual property. Students are expected to work on team projects analyzing technology innovations and creating business plans. At least 3 of the core classes must be completed before the capstone course.
|16:137:600*||Science & Technology Management Capstone (3)||Mandatory for all students|
* Please Note: These courses may need to be taken in New Brunswick.
A full listing of courses is shown under the Business Curriculum for the Rutgers MBS program.
Please see the Admission page for information on how to apply to the program.