How will COVID-19 impact international applicants and newly admitted international students for fall 2020?

Print This PagePrint This Page
Welcome to Rutgers! We hope that you will be able to join us on-campus in the Fall 2020 semester. However, given the unpredictability of travel and visa policies due to the current health crisis, we are preparing for suitable alternatives as well. In the event that you are not able to join us in-person in the Fall, we assure you the same superior Rutgers education and experience online as well. Please review the following options carefully to determine which suits you best: 
  1. Study at Rutgers in-person in the Fall 2020 semester in F-1 or J-1 visa status: This is a viable option if the university returns to in-person classes and travel and visa restrictions are lifted. In this case you will need to request an I-20 or a DS-2019 and apply for F-1 or J-1 visa (whichever is applicable to you). You will be informed about the requirements to obtain the I-20 or DS-2019 by the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. 
  2. Transfer your SEVIS record to Rutgers: If you are transferring your SEVIS record to Rutgers, we can provide you with a new I-20/ DS-2019 based on your status. In this case, you can attend Rutgers in-person if you are able to travel to Rutgers, or online if you are unable to make it due to the impact of the COVID crisis. 
  3. Begin your graduate degree program online: If you are unable to join in-person this Fall, Rutgers will offer the option for you to begin your degree program and enroll for a full course of study online for the fall 2020 semester from your home. This special option is available for all newly admitted graduate students who are unable to travel to Rutgers for the Fall semester. 
  4. Defer your admission: If you are not able to begin at Rutgers in the Fall 2020 semester, you can also defer your admission to Spring 2021/Fall 2021 semester.

However you choose to join us, you will receive more details about this process from the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions regarding next steps. If you have any questions related to your immigration status, please contact the Graduate and Professional Admissions office.