Introduction to User Experience Design
As an introduction to the field of User Experience Design (UXD), this course provides an overview of the process for specifying, designing, and testing computer interfaces to enable its users to easily learn, understand and use them. It will discuss how UXD fits within the overall interface development process, how UXD fits within a company's business operations and how each of the elements of UXD fit together into a design and development process. Furthermore, it will address important fields in UXD such as accessibility and mobile computing. This is a team taught course with experts from Industry & Academia.
- User experience design process from start to completion
- Current practices such as selecting appropriate design patterns, developing user personas, conducting a contextual inquiry and card sorting
- UXD evangelism recommendations for survival within a large company
- Return on investment costing and designing for competitive advantage
- Overview of the professional field and where to look for resources
This is a one-week intensive course.
Session 1: Introduction to the UXD lifecycle and Agile Programming
Session 2: Intro to User Research
Session 3: User Research Case Study
Session 4: Visual Design
Session 5: Personas and Journey Maps
Session 6: Design Studio
Session 7: Design Prototyping and Lean UX
Session 8: Interaction Design
Session 9: Building Prototype
Session 10: Usability Analysis
Session 11: Design for Accessibility
Session 12: Helping Your Organization Strategize with UX
Session 13: Agile UX
Session 14: Formative Evaluation
Assignments: Homework assignments and a group project.