BS/MBS 4+1 Program
*This is only available to current Rutgers undergraduate students*
Please Note: You can apply for this program through the Graduate Admissions website. Please go here to apply.
Are you a Rutgers undergraduate interested in getting a jump start on your graduate education?
The Master of Business & Science is a Professional Science Master’s degree combining graduate science and business courses. Students choose a particular science discipline that is then paired with a business curriculum. This exciting professional degree combines the best parts of an MS and MBA degree.
Exceptional Rutgers undergraduate students have the opportunity to enroll in the PSM program as a “BS/MBS student” to earn both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree in a shorter period of time and at a reduced cost.
BS/MBS programs are arrangements whereby undergraduates apply in the 2nd semester of their junior year for a Master’s degree and, if admitted, are allowed to take excess credits in their senior year that would be counted towards their Master’s degree. These programs are known as "4+1" programs at Rutgers. Although students can complete the program in 1 year, students are encouraged to gain work experience; to complete the program part-time while working full time.
Students must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- DEADLINE: July 15th or December 1st (May or January graduate, respectively)
- Students must apply a year before they graduate. (Most students apply in the spring semester of their junior year **)
- Maintain a GPA of 3.2 or above in their science major and overall.
- Submit an essay up to 500 words on their interest in the program and future career plans
- Complete 90 credits by the end of their sixth semester
- Submit an official copy of their transcript
- Choose an MBS concentration and interview with an MBS Program advisor or the Director of the PSM Program.
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation from a professor in their major
** For those who are completing their Junior Year in December, please contact our office for further information.
Advantages of the 4+1 Program:
- Once accepted into the PSM program, students can transfer up to 12 credits from their undergraduate to their graduate studies, provided:
- They are in excess of the required 120 credits for their undergraduate degree (128 credits for Biotechnology undergraduate students)
- Students obtain a grade of B or better in each course
- Students can take up to two (2) graduate-level (400 level or above) courses in each semester of their senior year
- These should be science courses. 4+1 students will be eligible to take MBS business courses upon completion of their undergraduate degree.
- Six of the 12 credits can be “double-counted”; i.e. they can count towards both the Bachelor’s degree and the Master’s degree
- Students are charged the undergraduate tuition rate for graduate courses taken during the fall and spring semesters of their senior year.
Please go to http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/apply/apply-now to submit your online application and documents.
For more information on the BS/MBS, please contact the PSM Program office: (848) 445-5117