The goal of the MBS Personal Care Science concentration is to educate and equip students with the skills and tools necessary to succeed in the personal care (cosmetic) industry. Students not only learn the fundamental processes and applications of personal care chemistry and formulations—including raw materials, bioactives, emulsions, hair biology, skin biology and function—with opportunities to take courses in fragrances, regulatory affairs, sustainability and colloid chemistry, but will gain fundamental knowledge of key business areas including finance and accounting, marketing, communication and leadership, ethics, intellectual property, and entrepreneurship.
Through expert instruction and experiential education, students will:
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of personal care science as well as business fundamentals
- Learn state-of-the-art processes and applications of personal care chemistry
- Gain an overview of the commercialization process
- Learn about the guiding principles and best practices for product development and commercialization
Where Our Personal Care Science Alumni Work
There are numerous job opportunities and career paths available to individuals with advanced knowledge of Personal Care Science.
|Innovation Scientist Color and Skincare
|Research Chemist, Skin Care
|Johnson & Johnson
|Product Developer, Global Oral Care R&D
|Scent Design Associate/Manager
Preferred Academic or Professional Experience
- It is strongly recommended that applicants possess a bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical biology; students with undergraduate degrees in a field other than chemistry must have completed two semesters of organic chemistry.
- All professional experience will be considered as part of the application process.
Applicants who are unsure of their eligibility for this concentration should schedule an appointment with an enrollment specialist.
"Thank you to the MBS program, I am now working at my DREAM JOB. If it weren’t for the connections and networking that occurred throughout the years in my classes, and the motivational support from my classes and professors, I would not be where I am today. I cannot recommend this program enough for young professionals who aspire to be in the beauty/ cosmetics industry."- Katelyn DuChemin, Personal Care Science Graduate
Drug Discovery and Development (Online)