The goal of the MBS Biotechnology & Genomics concentration is to educate and equip students with the skills and tools necessary for managing technical development and commercial applications in the areas of molecular biological sciences, including biotechnology, genomics and proteomics, biochemistry, cell biology, systems biology, and nanobiotechnology, for application in wide-ranging, diverse industries including healthcare, pharmaceutical development, personal care, agriculture, alternative energy, environmental monitoring and restoration, and nanotechnology. In addition to learning fundamental principles and applications of biotechnology and genomics, students will gain fundamental business knowledge in areas including finance and accounting, entrepreneurship, communication and leadership, management and planning, intellectual property, ethics, and regulatory.
Through expert instruction and experiential education, students will gain:
- Comprehensive understanding of rapidly evolving developments in structural and analytical methods
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art research methods
- Knowledge of current best practices and protocols in this field
- Computational approaches needed to handle large datasets
Where our Biotechnology and Genomics Alumni Work
Students can apply their knowledge in industries including healthcare, pharmaceutical development, personal care, agriculture, alternative energy, environmental monitoring and restoration, and nanotechnology.
|Oncology Research Financial Analyst||Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.|
|Manager, Product Strategies||Novo Nordisk|
|Associate Director, Contract Strategy||Merck & Co.|
|and more!||and more!|
Recommended Experience For Admission
- Students must have a bachelor’s degree in biotechnology, genomics, genetics, biochemistry, biology, or a related field.
- Prerequisite coursework includes two semesters of biology, two semesters of general chemistry, two semesters of organic chemistry, one semester of calculus, and one semester of genetics.
- For students without laboratory experience, the following course is recommended. 11:126:482 Molecular Genetics Laboratory
- All professional experience will be considered as part of the application process.
Applicants who are unsure of their eligibility for this concentration should schedule an appointment with an enrollment specialist.
"I have a predominantly science-based educational background; this program has allowed me to learn more about the business aspect that goes into science occupations. In doing so, I feel that this program has given me a leg up in the competitive field of science. "
- Evelyn Jui, Biotechnology and Genomics Graduate