Colloquium in Professionalism for Science & Technology Management
Course #: 16:137:503 (0 credits) or 16:137:504 (1 credits)
Description: This is a seminar-style course whose goal is to expose students to contemporary scientific and business-related topics. It is a supplement to and meant to complement the students’ coursework. Its overall goal is to make students aware of current issues, developments, and events that are going on in their respective disciplines and within the business community in general.
Requirements: Attending colloquia is required for all MBS Graduate Students and MBS Certificate Students in order to complete their respective academic programs.
- MBS Degree Students- required to attend at least 12 approved events, 9 of which must be sponsored by the MBS department.
- MBS Certificate Students- required to attend at least 6 approved events, 4 of which must be sponsored by the MBS department.
What events qualify as colloquia?
- Events can be either MBS-sponsored events or events related to science, technology, or business sponsored by other organizations (e.g., Professional Society, Scientific Meeting, Corporate Conference, another educational institution, or another unit at Rutgers).
- If you are unsure whether a specific event meets the MBS colloquia criteria, please send an email to email@example.com and enclose the flyer or agenda for the event in question.
Over what time frame do students need to complete the 12 colloquia event requirement?
- Students may begin to accrue colloquium events during their first semester of enrollment and attend them over the course of the entire time of an enrolled student. All 12 required colloquia must be completed before they can graduate. They do not need to be completed concurrent to the semester in which they are enrolled in the colloquium course (16:137:603/604).
Keeping track of colloquia attendance: Students are responsible for keeping track of their own colloquium attendance using the Colloquium Module in the Rutgers PSM Student Resources Canvas Site. They should upload “Proof of Attendance” to Canvas in order to receive point(s) for attending a colloquium event. All colloquium points will be updated by the end of the semester.
Who, how, and when to register for the colloquium course itself:
- Only students enrolled in the MBS graduate program are required to register for Colloquium in Professionalism for Science & Technology Management. Certificate students are not required to register for this course.
- MBS graduate students should register for the colloquium course in their last semester.
- They should register for only one of two possible course choices. The selected course is based on the number of academic credits that students will have earned at the end of their final semester.
- Register for 16:137:503 (0 credits) if the student will earn 43 credits by the end of their final semester.
- Register for 16:137:504 (1 credit) if the student will only earn 42 credits by the end of their final semester.