The goal of the MBS Sustainability concentration is to educate and equip students with the skills and tools necessary to identify, analyze, and better understand connections among social, environmental, technological, and economic systems—environmental, social, and governance (ESG)—as well as the forces driving these systems. In addition to learning state-of-the art methods to successfully measure, predict, and influence key processes that influence sustainability, students gain fundamental business knowledge in areas including finance and accounting, marketing, communication and leadership, ethics, intellectual property, regulatory, and entrepreneurship.
Through expert instruction and experiential education, students will:
- Learn a systems-based problem-solving approach to envision and forecast how individual and local actions can affect the function of larger ecosystems, structures, organizations, and/or processes
- Gain fundamental understanding of the interactions of social, environmental, and economic systems
- Learn to propose and promote strategies that meet short-term organizational needs while promoting long-term, sustainable outcomes
- Gain fundamental knowledge of key business areas related to sustainability, as well as the impact of sustainability efforts on these areas
Where our Sustainability Alumni Work
There are numerous job opportunities and career paths available to individuals with advanced knowledge of Sustainability.
|Commercial Energy Advisor
|The Chemours Company
|TRC Companies, Inc.
|Energy Efficiency Outreach Manager
|Environmental Compliance Specialist
Preferred Academic or Professional Experience
- It is strongly recommended that applicants possess at least a bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline. In some cases, promising students without science or engineering degrees may be accepted to the program.
- It is also recommended that students have completed: one semester of calculus, one year of chemistry, one year of another science (e.g., environmental science, ecology, biology, physics, meteorology, air or water pollution, geology), and one semester of statistics.
- All professional experience will be considered as part of the application process.
- Previous education in environmental sciences is not required.
Applicants who are unsure of their eligibility for this concentration should schedule an appointment with an enrollment specialist.
“The Master of Business and Science (MBS) is without a doubt one of my best academic decisions...The classes I have taken, particularly the business classes, have given me so much knowledge and insight on how to be a better and more efficient member of an organization."- Adolfo Pertuz, Master of Business and Science (MBS) degree Graduate
Biotechnology and Genomics
Drug Discovery and Development