Horticulture & Turfgrass Science
The Master of Business & Science with a concentration in Horticulture & Turfgrass Science prepares students to work in fields where an applied knowledge of horticulture is needed. The concentration is designed to prepare students to work as private consultants or to be directly hired by institutions to design, manage, and provide direct services related to horticulture.
Students with an MBS in Horticulture & Turfgrass Science can haves careers in agriculture, landscape, nurseries, green industry, biotechnology, managerial positions in commercial horticulture, turf management (sports turf management) as well as horticulture management for parks and gardens. Additionally, there are positions related to health and wellness including horticultural therapy, medicinal plants and neutraceuticals.
I. Business Courses
A total of 19 credits are required in the business curriculum. Six courses are required - all but one of the courses are for 3 credits each. Descriptions of the required Business Courses can be found here:
- Principles of Communication and Professional Development (16:137:502) (3cr)
- Principles of Accounting and Finance for Science and Technology (16:137:530) (3cr)
- Market Assessment and Analysis for Business and Science - Life Sciences (16:137:507) (3cr)
- Ethics in Science and Technology Management (16:137:500) (1cr)
- Science and Technology Management Capstone (16:137:600) (3cr)
and 2 business electives (e.g., Project Management, Supply Chain, Intellectual Property, et al.) (6cr)
II. Science Courses
The Horticulture & Turfgrass Science concentration consists of 4 required core courses and 4 electives. Within this concentration, there are a number of sub concentrations available to prepare students for specific careers. These subconcentrations include: (1) General Horticulture Science (2) Turf Grass Management (3) Horticultural Therapy.
Core Courses – (4 Core Courses are required)
Choose 3 core courses from the following list of courses:
- 11:776:450 Horticultural Topics (2)
- 11:776:451 Fine & Sports Turf (3)
- 16:765:502 Advanced Plant Physiology (3)
- 16:765:522. Applied Plant Science Statistics (3) (Fall)
- 16:765:536 Plant Disease Clinic (3) or 16:765:531 Principles of Plant Pathology (3)
- 16:765:699 Plant Biology Graduate: Non-thesis Study (3) (Internship) (Fall and Spring)
The following course is mandatory for all (to be taken after completion of the 3 core courses listed above).
- 16:137:604 Case Studies in Horticulture & Turfgrass Applications (3)