Kinesiology & Applied Physiology
The objective of the Master of Business and Science with a concentration in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology is to educate students about the systemic adaptations and responses to exercise and implications for application of these principles to the health, fitness, biotechnological, nutraceutical, supplement, and wellness industries. Students will be taught about hormonal, biochemical, metabolic, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, and psychological responses to exercise, exercise testing and prescription principles, and application of physical activity to an overall beneficial wellness profile.
In order to prepare students to work in the various related health and fitness industries, such as supplement and nutraceutical development, fitness management and wellness program implementation, corporate fitness, personal training, and health/fitness biotechnology development, students will also be taught about management and planning, teamwork and communication, and proper financial decisions.
Students with an MBS in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology can find employment at supplement and nutraceutical companies as well as become directors of corporate fitness centers where there is a need to be able to manage a facility yet also possess scientifically sound knowledge of proper testing and prescription guidelines for clientele.
A bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution in Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Biological Science or a related field. A Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in science courses related to the field and the GRE (verbal, quantitative & writing) are required. Two letters of recommendation, with at least one from a science professor. Applicants from a country whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency.
To earn the Master of Business & Science (MBS) degree, students need to complete 24 credits in the sciences and 19 credits in business. In addition, students must attend 12 colloquium events to qualify for graduation.
I. Business Courses
For the Master of Business & Science (MBS) degree, students take 8 courses (24 credits) in the sciences and 19 credits in business. The business requirements include courses in finance & accounting, marketing, communication & leadership, capstone, ethics and electives. The business curriculum is listed here. The science courses for the Kinesiology and Applied Physiology concentration are given below.
A total of 19 credits are required in the business curriculum. Six courses are required - all but one of the courses are for 3 credits each. Descriptions of the required Business Courses can be found here:
- Principles of Communication and Professional Development (16:137:502) (3cr)
- Principles of Accounting and Finance for Science and Technology (16:137:530) (3cr)
- Market Assessment and Analysis for Business and Science - Life Sciences (16:137:507) (3cr)
- Ethics in Science and Technology Management (16:137:500) (1cr)
- Science and Technology Management Capstone(16:137:600) (3cr)
and 2 business electives - 6 credits (e.g., project management, supply chain, Intellectual property, etc.)
II. Science Courses
Kinesiology and Applied Physiology concentration consists of 4 required core courses, 3 electives and 1 mandatory seminar (colloquium). This concentration provides students with a strong science foundation focusing on human anatomy and physiology, emphasizing fields such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, physician's assistant, cardiac rehabilitation, exercise Physiology, biomechanics, and other subfields of sports medicine. It also permits direct entrance into related careers such as fitness management, administration, marketing, upper level certifications in the rehabilitation and fitness industries.
Core Courses – 4 Core Courses
- 16:572:501 Advanced Exercise Physiology (3) (Spring)
- 16:572:503 Exercise Biochemistry (3) (Fall)
- 16:572:506 Statistics and Research Design in Exercise Science (3) (Spring)
- 16:572:502 Exercise Testing and Prescription (4) (Fall)
- 16:572:520 Colloquium in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology (1) (Fall and Spring)
Electives – choose 3 courses
- 01:377:406 Management in Exercise Science and Sport Studies (3)* (Fall)
- 01:377:412 Advanced Sport Marketing (3)*
- 16:572:510 EKG Use and Interpretation (3)
- 16:572:510 Exercise Endocrinology (3) (Spring)
- 16:572:509 Nutrition for Sports and Exercise (3)
- 16:572:507 Metabolic Response to Exercise (3)
- 16:572:505 Research Methods in Exercise Science (3) (Spring)
- 16:572:508 Exercise Psychophysiology (3) (Fall)
- 16:761:507 (F) Comparative Physiology (3)
- 16:761:508 (S) Molecular and Cell Physiology (3)
- 16:761:513 (S) Cardiovascular Physiology (3)
* These courses can be used as Business Electives.
Dr. Brandon Alderman
Dr. Beth Ann Murphy
Life Sciences Coordinator
The MBS (Master of Business & Science) is a Professional Science Master's Degree combining graduate science courses (MS level) in a particular concentration with courses in business.